Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Missions  (Read 11021 times)

May 23, 2012, 06:53:39 AM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Missions
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:53:39 AM »
As we've shown in this post, 2.0 will include a few story-oriented missions. So our question for you guys is, what missions of that sort would you like to see included (for any of the playable factions).
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 23, 2012, 09:09:08 AMReply #1

Offline Meyer

• Grand Moff
  • Approval: +69/-2
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
    • View Profile
Re: Missions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »
Pellaeon could have a mission that gives him Dominion and/or Megador during caamas crisis (unless he already has them)

NR could get missions to liberate specific planets
I reject your canon and substitute my own!

May 23, 2012, 09:20:00 AMReply #2

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Here are some suggestions:

1) Fractured Empire GC- Wedge Antilles/Rogue Squadron to Thyferra gets you Booster Terrik in the Errant Venture and maybe another ISD MK II (Sair Yonka's Freedom, although it doesn't have to be a hero, just a regular ISD MK II). The rewards for this one might be a bit too minor to make it interesting. Still, ISD MK IIs are more powerful than anything the NR has in this GC.
2) Hunt for Zsinj GC - Han Solo heads to Jussafet, enlists Admiral Teren Rogriss' aid and Interdictor Star Destroyers. This will allow you to remove the initial Interdictors that are part of the NR starting forces. Yes this will make this mission more critical but adds to some of the urgency and desperation of the situation to trap Iron Fist.
3) Hunt For Zsinj GC - Leia to Hapes gets you Isolder and a Hapan Fleet of Battle Dragons, Nova Cruisers, and Star Home.
4) Hunt For Zsinj GC - Zsinj to Kuat gets you the Razor's Kiss SSD.
5) Reunification GC - Daala and/or Pellaeon head to Odik II to obtain the Knight Hammer SSD, and Colonel Cronus.
6) Black Fleet Crisis - Since no details about this GC have been released, I don't even know if there even is a playable IR side to this. But if there is, maybe the IR leader could head to N'Zoth, and recapture some, if not all, of Black Sword Command (Multiple Victory and Imperial Star Destroyers, and Intimidator, a SSD).
7) Camaas Crisis GC - Parck/Thrawn Clone to Bastion gets you multiple VSDs and ISDs - Imagine if Parck and the EtoH decided to join/take over the IR at the end of the Hand of Thrawn Duology. A stretch I admit, but it's tough to come up with missions for the EtoH. This would also necessitate the addition of hyperspace lanes between EtoH territory and IR territory that doesn't require going through the Inner Rim.
8) Camaas Crisis GC - Pellaeon/Disra to Niruan gets you the Hand of Thrawn Intel (which is already in the game, although that seems accidental), and more importantly the Thrawn Clone and maybe some EtoH assets. This gives the IR a third fleet commander, and a great one at that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:25:34 AM by yutpaeksi »
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

May 23, 2012, 04:41:08 PMReply #3

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »
I had a couple of ideas, one based on Yutpaeksi's.

1) Hunt for Zsinj: Have Zsinj go to Kuat to steal the Razor's Kiss, and have the NR, with Mon Remonda, Rogue, and Wraith, along with whatever other ships go to Kuat to stop him.

2) Reunification, era 4: have Daala and Pellaeon assault Yavin 4, if they succeed, all Jedi heroes except Luke are killed.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 23, 2012, 06:13:27 PMReply #4

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 06:13:27 PM »
Definitely some stuff we csan use here, and I'm not gonna comment on everything at the moment, but a few points about the general nature of these missions:

NR could get missions to liberate specific planets

The problem with this kind of thing is we're not just going for the Petroglyph style "we need this planet for some reason we won't tell you" kind of missions. The planets you take as far as just liberating them as the New Republic would just be whichever targets you decide are important, unless there's another good reason to go there. This is already kind of in in a less intrusive way with the existing planet capture rewards.

6) Black Fleet Crisis - Since no details about this GC have been released, I don't even know if there even is a playable IR side to this. But if there is, maybe the IR leader could head to N'Zoth, and recapture some, if not all, of Black Sword Command (Multiple Victory and Imperial Star Destroyers, and Intimidator, a SSD).
7) Camaas Crisis GC - Parck/Thrawn Clone to Bastion gets you multiple VSDs and ISDs - Imagine if Parck and the EtoH decided to join/take over the IR at the end of the Hand of Thrawn Duology. A stretch I admit, but it's tough to come up with missions for the EtoH. This would also necessitate the addition of hyperspace lanes between EtoH territory and IR territory that doesn't require going through the Inner Rim.
8) Camaas Crisis GC - Pellaeon/Disra to Niruan gets you the Hand of Thrawn Intel (which is already in the game, although that seems accidental), and more importantly the Thrawn Clone and maybe some EtoH assets. This gives the IR a third fleet commander, and a great one at that.

The problem with these is that it basically implies the factions essentially merge, which wouldn't really make sense. The Yevetha wouldn't just hand over their entire fleet to the Remnant, and since the Remnant and EotH are supposed to be fighting each other, it doesn't really make sense for them to just hand over free stuff to each other either. On a side note, the Hand of Thrawn intel thing is not accidental.

1) Hunt for Zsinj: Have Zsinj go to Kuat to steal the Razor's Kiss, and have the NR, with Mon Remonda, Rogue, and Wraith, along with whatever other ships go to Kuat to stop him.

There's no reason to force Han, Rogue or Wraith (which aren't in the mod) to be in the fighter; if they aren't there, they aren't there. While Razor's Kiss would be there independent of what any player does, there's no ingame reason they have to be there, and it wouldn't make sense ingame, since it would mean if we spawned Han in on a special map made for that event, then he could die and yet still just be flying around like normal somewhere else. Then it stops being a mission you complete within the context of a sandbox GC and more like a scripted campaign full of battles that are basically entirely disconnected from events on the galactic map, which we're avoiding.

For example, the Katana Fleet was where it was, and Karrde knew where it was, regardless of any action the player does or doesn't take. Then Karrde tells you he can get you to them, so the choice becomes the players whether to let Karrde lead you there or not. Once you get there, you'll end up fighting Remnant forces, but you'll just have Karrde and who or whatever you sent with him for the battle, Fey'lya and Virgilio won't automatically just show up at the start of the battle, and you won't be fighting Brandei since it's entirely possible he's already dead and magicking him in wouldn't really fit in well with the GC.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:17:44 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 23, 2012, 09:07:39 PMReply #5

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »
There's no reason to force Han, Rogue or Wraith (which aren't in the mod) to be in the fighter; if they aren't there, they aren't there. While Razor's Kiss would be there independent of what any player does, there's no ingame reason they have to be there, and it wouldn't make sense ingame, since it would mean if we spawned Han in on a special map made for that event, then he could die and yet still just be flying around like normal somewhere else. Then it stops being a mission you complete within the context of a sandbox GC and more like a scripted campaign full of battles that are basically entirely disconnected from events on the galactic map, which we're avoiding.

For example, the Katana Fleet was where it was, and Karrde knew where it was, regardless of any action the player does or doesn't take. Then Karrde tells you he can get you to them, so the choice becomes the players whether to let Karrde lead you there or not. Once you get there, you'll end up fighting Remnant forces, but you'll just have Karrde and who or whatever you sent with him for the battle, Fey'lya and Virgilio won't automatically just show up at the start of the battle, and you won't be fighting Brandei since it's entirely possible he's already dead and magicking him in wouldn't really fit in well with the GC.

OK, I get it now. Here's another two ideas. They're probably completely stupid or

1) Caamas Crisis: as the NR, once you destroyed Pellaeon, you would get a message stating the Pellaeon-Gavrisom Treaty has been signed, and that both factions have now agreed to defeat the EotH. Therefore, at that point, the player would gain access to all IR and NR planets, along with any ships and space stations in IR space. I don't know, but it sounds kinda cool. This could also work in reverse, if you were able to kill Gavrisom. Likewise, the EotH could have a mission to kill Pellaeon and Gavrisom, so no treaty is signed, and the factions continue to fight each other.

2) Thrawn Campaign, IR. Take a fleet with Thrawn to Myrkyr, and then (if it is under someone's control) after the battle, take Thrawn to the surface to give all infantry an area around them that is immune to the Force.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:42:31 PM by revanchist »
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012, 05:40:56 PMReply #6

Offline Lord_jacob

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 05:40:56 PM »
i dont have any ideas for missions, but i think there should be some kind of toggle for them that way you dont have to be barraged by missions and can just play it your way or with missions.

May 24, 2012, 05:54:48 PMReply #7

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »
There's no danger of being barraged by them, but allowing people to "toggle them" would basically mean coding two different copies for each GC and then you pick at the menu screen. They're going to be rare, and they're not something that you're ever going to be forced to do. It's not going to be like EaW where every 2 seconds you get asked to perform a favour for Lord Vader, and it's not like a story campaign where you're automatically forced into them. If you don't want to do them, just ignore the characters when they give you the information. There are some cases such as with the Katana Fleet where if you don't get it, the other faction still can, but other than that there's not a penalty for ignoring them. Unless you really care what the characters in the game think of you after ignoring them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:56:24 PM by Corey »

May 24, 2012, 06:16:55 PMReply #8

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 06:16:55 PM »
Unless you really care what the characters in the game think of you after ignoring them.

I won't have conglomerations of bits judging me! I do what I want!

Another couple of ideas for EtoH missions:

Parck/Stent to Kariek - fight a large pirate force, liberate the planet, get Auren Seven and, say, a large number of infantry companies and/or other ground units, simulating the events described in Zahn's Fool's Bargain, when Kariek was liberated and then joined the EtoH, and incorporating the Eickarie into the EtoH forces.

Thrawn (EtoH) to the Poln system, battle pirate forces (Nuso Esva?), and get the Hand of Judgement, and maybe a health/damage bonus to EtoH infantry? Sort of simulating the HoJ joining Thrawn and then training their stormtroopers up to the level of the 501st.

This is based off of the events in Allegiance, which unfortunately don't fit chronologically into the mod, I know. But it REALLY is hard to come up with canon-related missions for the EtoH.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:31:53 PM by yutpaeksi »
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

May 24, 2012, 06:34:58 PMReply #9

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 06:34:58 PM »
A mission for the Pentastar Alignment where Jerec goes to Ruusan to unlock the Valley of the Jedi(would allow building of Dark Jedi or increase the range of all force abilities by double range or power.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

May 24, 2012, 06:59:36 PMReply #10

Offline Willhelm

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »
Idea, Mission In Thrawns era, attack Sluis van and aquire some mon calimaris,  =D

May 24, 2012, 07:12:36 PMReply #11

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
Idea, Mission In Thrawns era, attack Sluis van and aquire some mon calimaris,  =D

This sounds promising.

May 24, 2012, 08:48:43 PMReply #12

Offline Lord_jacob

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »

mon calamari live on Mon Calamari, not sulis van. just to let you know.

May 24, 2012, 09:17:17 PMReply #13

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »
mon calamari live on Mon Calamari, not sulis van. just to let you know.

He's referring to when in Heir to the Empire Thrawn tried to use captured mole miners to take over Mon Cal cruisers and many other NR vessels that were being used as cargo ships due to a shortage. He very nearly succeeded and would have had about 45 capital ships as a result. I think this idea has merit.

May 25, 2012, 05:26:42 PMReply #14

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »

Definitely like this idea, this would be pretty cool. Also had another suggestion:

Thrawn Campaign- Send leia to Endor to rendezous with the noghri ship. After this, the Noghri civvies on Honogr will be on your side, and on any planet you attack that has Noghri commandos, the Commandos will revolt and join you.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 25, 2012, 06:56:40 PMReply #15

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 06:56:40 PM »
Definitely like this idea, this would be pretty cool. Also had another suggestion:

Thrawn Campaign- Send leia to Endor to rendezous with the noghri ship. After this, the Noghri civvies on Honogr will be on your side, and on any planet you attack that has Noghri commandos, the Commandos will revolt and join you.

This would actually be quite awesome...can it be done? You could even use this to kill Thrawn!

May 25, 2012, 06:59:35 PMReply #16

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 06:59:35 PM »
No, we can't make it that happen. The most we could do is make it remove every Noghri commando from the Remnant, however I don't think it'd work well as a mission, since basically all it is is moving a hero to a planet, without having to do anything else at all.

May 26, 2012, 09:40:34 PMReply #17

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 09:40:34 PM »
Couple more ideas:

1) Thrawn Campaign, Art of War era 2
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 27, 2012, 06:41:43 PMReply #18

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 06:41:43 PM »

May 27, 2012, 11:46:11 PMReply #19

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 11:46:11 PM »
1) Thrawn Campaign, Art of War era 2
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!